The first Washington elementary school was built in 1907 at a total cost of $12,000. In 1924 water found leaking into the basement caused irreparable foundation damage and the building was declared unsafe. Classes dismissed on October 8, 1924 and over two weeks repairs were made. Students had to attend Saturday morning classes for six weeks to make up the lost class time. In 1929 the school board made a controversial decision to close the school and in 1929-1930 the building burned.
It was replaced in 1930 with a $60,000 building at Third and Seminole. A 1952 addition of an all-purpose room and classroom cost $73,727. The last classes were held at this school in May 1978. The building housed the state Regional Educational Services Center for many years, which later leased space at the old McKinley grade school before the Center was closed due to state budget cuts in the 2000s. The building also once housed indoor batting cages, etc. for the district baseball program. Washington was sold to Restoring Life Ministries in March 1998 for $8,000.
Click images to enlarge them.
Second Grade Class at the Original Building
Front Facade in 1997
View from 4th & Seminole in 1997