This elementary school, with its original entrance near First and Rogers, was constructed in 1914 for $28,600. A 1920 addition cost $31,000, there was a $5,550 addition in 1929, and an all-purpose room was added in 1952 for $78,136. The additions relocated the entrance to Hensley and Penn.
The school closed in 1983 when the new Jane Phillips elementary school opened. It was sold in 1984 to K. Vasudevan and became the home of Service and Technology Corporation in 1986. In 1988 he established the B.L.E.S.S. scholarship in remembrance of this school, its teachers, and students. A $150,000 scholarship fund had been raised by 1994, with much of it coming from Service and Technology and its staff. It provides an interest-free loan to students who pay it back in $100 per month increments after graduation. By 2011, 73 scholarships totalling over $254,000 had been awarded.
Click images to enlarge them.
Students in 1958 and 1955 with Miss Jane Sullivan
Lincoln in 1997
2011 B.L.E.S.S. Scholarship Awards