This elementary school at Eleventh and Jennings was built on a 1.05 acre plot in 1907 for $40,000. A 1929 addition, which included 0.35 more acres of land, cost $16,086. In 1952 all-purpose and special education rooms were added for $87,803.
The school was closed in June, 1968 and the original building and the 1929 addition were razed in 1969. The 1952 addition was remodeled into the district Media Center at a cost of $63,860 in 1970 and in 1973 the neighboring property at 1115 S. Keeler was purchased for $7,466.
In 1974 the Education Service Center was built on the site at a cost of $237,128. This facility houses the offices of the superintendent, personnel, business, support services, community relations, special services, and so forth. The board of education meetings are also held here.
Click images to enlarge them.
Horace Mann circa 1910
Education Service Center in 1997