This elementary school was near the intersection of Tuxedo and Washington Boulevard (Highway 75), and was independent of the Bartlesville school district until it was absorbed in 1930. The Tuxedo area was the high ground between Bartlesville and Dewey, used when the Caney River used to flood regularly. The original 1909 building with its prominent bell tower was demolished and replaced in 1920 with a $17,200 one-story building. The Bartlesville district added a $14,420 expansion in 1938.
A series of additions were made in the late 1940s and early 1950s to accommodate the explosive growth on Bartlesville's east side. There was a $53,411 addition in 1948, an $89,242 addition in 1951, and a $48,500 addition in 1953. Two lots were added to the property in 1974 for $4,500. The school closed in 1984, with its students going to Wilson elementary. The building was used for storage until it was demolished and the property sold in the 1990s.
Click images to enlarge them.
Principal Bill Brewer with Memories of Highland Park